Thalaserry Fort

Thalaserry Fort situated at a distance of 22 km from Kannur town constructed by British East India Company. The famous St.John's Anglican Church was behind this fort. Thalassery Fort stands upright on a rocky cliff on the Thalasseri beach. The fort has many attractive features that have survived the tempests of time and have survived to this day.

It is a monument of much historical significance. When the British East India Company established its settlement on the Malabar Coast, they built the Thalaserry Fort, as a testimonial to their colonial imperialism. In 1700, the British built the Thalassery Fort on a small hill called Tiruvellapadkunnu and in 1708, it was strengthened by increasing its height and with bastions. The fort has a cemetery and the collector's mansion nearby. Many British officials have been laid to rest in this cemetery that is named after Sir Edward Brennen. The fort has secret tunnels to the sea and intricately carved huge doors. It was here that Haider's captain was imprisoned.



Contact