Tipu Sultan Fort

The Tipu's Fort, also known as Palakkad Fort is located at the heart of Palakkad town in Kerala. Tipu Sultan (1750 - 1799), also known as the "Lion of Mysore" is best remembered for the battles he waged against the British colonialism in India.

Tipu Sultan Fort was constructed in 1766 AD by Tipu sultan's father, Haider Ali, the emperor of Mysore province after The Raja of Palakkad sought the help of Hyder Ali to check the invasion of the Zamorin of Calicut in 1757. Tipu's Fort was built in 81/2 acres of land. In 1767 fort was damged in war, and in 1782 this was renovated and went in the hands of Tipu Sultan after his fatherís demise. The fort was supposed to facilitate communication between the Malabar Coast and Coimbatore. The British captured the fort in 1784 after an 11-day battle. After some years, it fell in the hands of Kozhikode Zamorin but was again recaptured by the British in 1790. After a tough battle, Tipu Sultan lost his life in the year 1799, and hence the fort has been known by his name.

The Tipu's Fort is one of the best protected monuments in south India and is looked after by the Archaeological Survey of India. The sober majesty of the laterite walls of the fort reminds one of the old tales of valour and courage.



Contact